Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Not sure they know where babies come from...



While we were in the hospital after Domenic was born, I watched TLC's 19 kids and counting. Talk about putting my situation in perspective!!!

I really enjoyed the episodes that I watched, and the kids seemed kind and happy, and the parents seemed much calmer than I am with only 3!

However, the reason for this post is because of a pet peeve that I have regarding people who say that the number of children they have is "up to God" - making the case that each of their children came to being because it was the will of God. This idea is ridiculous from my viewpoint. I thought that God had created natural laws the govern this world, one of which is that children are a consequence of having unprotected sex. I will make it even more clear: if you do not have sex, you will not have children. If you do have sex (unprotected), you will very likely have children.

By the logic of the Duggars and others who use this argument, every child born on this earth is the result of God's will. Meaning children born to teenage mothers, children born to drug addicts, rape victims, etc.. etc...

Additionally, it means that if a couple cannot have children, it is the express wish of God that they not have them!!!

Really??? I would hope that anyone with a little common sense would realize that as miraculous as the birth of a child is, it is only made possible by biological means!

Okay, I think I am done with my soapbox now.

1 comment:

  1. oh rachel...we should talk :) i agree 148% with you...and i think this goes right along with the talk by dallin h. oaks in the priesthood session at the last general conference. leaving everything up to the lord--as some people put it--is not the way we are to live our lives. we should do everything in our power first...so saying that when my family is complete heavenly father will just stop alllowing me to get pregnant is wrong. it is also my responsibility to take the necessary precautions--and to be prayerful about it.

    anyways...i am with ya :) i think they are a great family and obviously do a great job raising good children...but not so sure i'm on board with their views of birth control (or none)

    ReplyDelete