Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Follow-up on Avocado Trees



Yep, I haven't forgotten that I was going to update on how my little avocado tree experiment was going. Well, they are thriving, after Quinton's very diligent watering of them all winter long (we over-wintered them in the jacuzzi tub in my bathroom!)

Unfortunately, my cursory research of them when I first rooted the pits was that with two plants, they would cross-pollinate each other and I would have avocado fruit!! Upon more in-depth research, I have learned that almost no plants rooted from the pits will actually develop fruit - you have to graft in a branch from a producing plant. Plus they take at least 7 years to fruit, and they are a very large tree.

Hmmm... problem is, Antonio is very pro-tree, so he is determined that we should plant them, whether they fruit or not. I'm not sure we have the space for it (actually, I AM sure that we don't!) We'll see if we can come up with a compromise, assuming they can even survive a winter outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment