Friday, December 7, 2012

Doughnut "Party"

I put party in quotes because it wasn't the party in a traditional sense.  It was just a day to make lots of doughnuts; but that seemed like a party to me!

The story behind this is that I have been wanting to try and make doughnuts for some time now, but it seemed like I should have a reason for something so extravagant as eating a lot of doughnuts. Quinton happens to adore doughnuts - specifically glazed.

Quinton has been having some difficulty at school lately with his talking.  This is reflected in the steady decline of his conduct grades over the last 6 weeks or so.  We had tried many things to help him remember to control himself, and not speak out of turn.  I told him that if he managed to get an "S" the week before Thanksgiving, we would have a "doughnut party."  Well, I guess that was motivating enough because after 4 straight weeks of "N's" he brought home an "S."


I made two kinds of batter: chocolate cake and yeast-raised.  Here are the chocolate cake doughnuts cooling off.




Quinton invited over our neighbor Patrick.  Of course, Quinton used the word "party" so Patrick's older sister asked if she could come, too.  Ashlyn is one of  my piano students and very talented.

After all the excitement of waiting to eat a doughnut, Quinton determined he didn't like chocolate cake doughnuts.


A selection of the doughnuts I made: chocolate cake with chocolate icing and sprinkles, glazed, cinnamon-sugar, powdered sugar, jelly-filled, and chocolate-filled.  We ate over a dozen and I was still able to give about 2 dozen away.




Domenic couldn't get enough doughnuts.  He ate so many chocolate cake doughnuts, I don't know how he didn't get sick!

Not sure why Roman is sticking his tongue out, but here he is enjoying a cinnamon-sugar doughnut.


No comments:

Post a Comment